Spellcheckers

Peter Wales pjwales at magicnet.net
Wed Feb 7 00:49:31 GMT 1996

>It's time for the flaming about spell checking, grammar checking,
>etc. to stop.

Yes Teach!

>IMHO the real point is having effective written communication among
>us DIY_EFI enthusiasts.  Speaking as a former mathematics teacher and
>current software technical writer, I think we communicate quite well
>as we exchange questions/answers and problems/solutions.

OK, we'll all stay sloppy

>In summary -- while my job centers around communicating technical
>information effectively, I encourage perfection but am not upset by
>less-than-perfect English on 'Net discussion lists.

Lets recap. I said "Do they have spell checkers up there". Thats all.
Nothing else. Zip.

I'm not upset, just amazed by people supporting bad English and saying that
it's a good thing. But if thats the way you want it, ok by me. It's just
that I'm not the one who is going to lose out.

And just in case you guys think that I think I'm perfect, let me tell you
about a good one that I made tonight. On another group, while telling them
how things should be done, as is my way, I suggested they ought to

"do XYZ, but then I'm biassed"

The reply "but the rest of us are mono" had me puzzled for about 5 minutes
until I saw it. Can you see it?

To the relief of many this is the last from me on this subject, but still
smiling.

Peter Wales
President Superchips Inc
Chairman Superchips Ltd        "Timing is everything"
Superchips home page with all the answers http://www.superchips.com