MAF Sensors

atsakiri at ford.com atsakiri at ford.com
Wed Feb 7 17:23:50 GMT 1996

> I'm assuming that the MAF hot wire is fed with a constant current and the
> voltage variation due to temperature-dependent change of resistance is the
> output that is conditioned further.  If anyone has any more info it would be
> much appreciated.

where MAF = Mass Air Flow

On at least some MAF sensors, the hot wire is fed enough current
to maintain a constant wire temperature.  The current required is
an indication of the mass air flow rate of air past the wire.  The
electrical power applied to the wire is assumed to be equal
to the power lost via convective heat transfer.

Anthony Tsakiris