Spellcheckers CUT THE SILLYNESS

tom sparks sparks at probe.net
Wed Feb 7 20:03:07 GMT 1996

Dear Folks:

It's time for my standard flame lecture.

I have watched many flame wars and have noticed that NONE of them serve
ANYONE but the combatants.

Flame wars rarely enlighten and always annoy others.  What do you kids hope
to accomplish?  Here's what you are accomplishing:  You are showing the
world how insecure and petty you can be while wasting everybody's time and
disk space.

What ever happened to respectful disagreement and the polite dropping of a
meaningless subject that no one will agree upon? Or better yet, what
happened to discretion?

IF YOU MUST FLAME OR REPLY TO A FLAME, DO IT PRIVATELY.  ANNOY EACH OTHER,
NOT THE ENTIRE GROUP.

Now, you may redeem yourselves thusly:  Publicly apologize to the group and
to one another (I don't EVEN care how right you think you are) for the
crimes of incivility and bandwidth waste.

I fully realize that flames are an internet tradition, but as far as
traditions go, they are as welcome and as useful as a Christmas fruitcake.
The holding of one's tongue is as useful in person as it is in a faceless
setting like an e-mail list.  Flames burn everybody.

I apoligize in advance for anyone who thinks this post is a waste of your time.

Best Regards,
Thomas Sparks

P.S. No flames please, anything that even SMELLS like a flame won't even be
given the dignity of a reading let alone an acknowledgement.