Injector Phasing...

Mike Wesley mwesley at gr-lakes.com
Sat Feb 10 15:31:34 GMT 1996

On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Timothy Coste wrote:

>    I'll stop discussing this unless there is a reply directly to my
> comments since this is getting way off of the diy category.  If
> you care enough about COVimep, transients, and cold starts, you're
> working for an auto manufacturer and not in your garage.  Or your
> WAY too optimistic about your 4 micro-processor's having nothing to
> do during idle times. :)  Sorry, I really enjoy my own humor late
> at night too much.

Welp, count me as one of the 'garage' types who does care about
transients, emmisions, part throttle driveability and WOT performance and
does this type of work for himself and not an OEM. My company develops
calibrations to pass EPA regulations for all 50 states in the US. I work
mainly on Ford EEC-IV/V systems re-calibrating them for other
manufactuers. I've been following the closed vs open valve injector
timing and I too have spent many an hour doing steady state and transient
testing. On a Ford, you can change injector timing based on speed/load
which is VERY nice. I fire on a more closed valve at part throttle/light
load for smooth peformance and reduced emmisions. I fire on a more open
valve at high load/WOT for increased torque. During the WOT transient
testing, and depending on the engine, I see a 0-10% torque increase by
firing on a more open valve. Of course if you fire too late, your in for
trouble later on. Since I deal with high performance, federal certified,
street cars, injector timing is pretty important to me.
Mike...