Transients/WOT

Fred Miranda fcmefi at fishnet.net
Sat Feb 10 16:17:23 GMT 1996

 I don't buy the idea that the only ones interested in transients
and part throttle are government/EPA types.
Transients are everything, you transition to WOT!

I got into aftermarket EFI 5 years ago when I put an Electromotive
system on my turbo rotary Spitfire, which I ran in slalom/autocross
events. Good transient and part throttle operation are crucial in slalom
racing, esp with a high power car. Tenths and hundreds of seconds
count as these are timed events that last about 60sec a run. You can't
afford to be sputtering and popping around a sweeper and as you squeeze
the throttle comming off the turn onto a short straight. Here the car that
is the easiest to drive has the best shot at winning. I saw numerous cars
with poorly tuned or installed aftermarket EFI systems that gave the drivers
fits, needless to say , they didn't do so well.

Everything that pertains to slaloming pertains to real world driving as
well. One difference being, you might want better efficiency if you are talking
about your daily driver. I would bet that most on this list are more concerned
about real world situation than WOT at 6000rpm. So lets continue the
discussions and let the WOT types form DIY_WOT.

Fred