Turbo Lag

Clint Sharp clint at clintsmc.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 21:31:45 GMT 1996

In your message dated Thursday 22, February 1996 you wrote :
> Hello all,
Hi

> Motec injection system fitted. An idea which we have been discussing is
> injecting fuel into the exhaust manifold during periods of closed throttle
> in order to keep the turbine speed up and reduce turbo lag.
> Has anyone tried something like this?
Ford Motorsport in the UK use just this technique on their Escort Cosworths
if my memory serves me correctly.
> Would the burning fuel damage the
> turbine blades?
Probably, but with mega money and re-builds between events, I suspect they
don't really care about killing a turbo or three.
> What type of injector would be suitable? (maybe a Diesel
> injector.)
I don't think they use an injector, just let a cylinder misfire.
> All ideas appreciated!
Don't try this at home.
> Chris Howard
> Mechanical Engineering
> University of Sydney
> email: choward at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU
> Web: http://www.usyd.edu.au/~choward
Good luck, hope you have deep pockets if you try this!
--
We apologise for the lack of coherent humorous comments.
 Normal service will be resumed shortly.
                       clint at clintsmc.demon.co.uk