Turbo Lag

Bruno! u933234 at student.canberra.edu.au
Sat Feb 24 15:58:45 GMT 1996

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996 ffmd at usa.nai.net wrote:

> >What you are looking for is called an Anti-Lag System (ALS).  It is
> >used in many rally-race cars that compete in the WRC.  There are a
> >couple of different systems I have heard about, but the easiest to
> >implement requires only a modification to the ECU on the engine.
> >
> >This system actually causes an intentional mis-fire by not firing one
> >of the cylinders.  The air/fuel mixture is still injected, and ends up
> >getting pumped out the exhaust.  When it hits the very hot turbine
> >blades in the turbo, it ignites and works like a jet motor.

Is there any reason for not using a blow-off valve in this situation?  These,
if you haven't heard of them before, keep the turbine spinning when the
throttle is closed by bypassing the intake gases from the closed throttle
when the pressure difference across the trottle increases to a certain point
(eg 1 psi) and then closing when the throttle opens again. The turbine keeps
spinning, maintaining the boost.

I haven't driven a car with one, but from what I've heard, it makes a cool
whizzing sound when changing gears, and makes a BIG difference to
acceleration. I do admit it would cost a bit more than the timing system
mentioned above, but i think it would not have quite the same effect on the
exhaust system, and would be kinder to mufflers and cats.

	         Bruno.     ( u933234 at student.canberra.edu.au )

	              "If you've gotta go, go with a smile"