Real world TPI hp gains

John T Stein JSTEIN at dpc2.hdos.hac.com
Mon Feb 26 16:37:40 GMT 1996

> Date:          Wed, 21 Feb 1996 07:39:47 -0800
> From:          jzalesny at ix.netcom.com (JimZ -92' AWD Tsi )
> Subject:       Re: Real world TPI hp gains
> To:            diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu

> You wrote:
> >
> >Decreasing inlet air temp(and intake manifold temp) will increase horsepower
> >with no other changes, assuming the ECM is allowed to adjust accordingly.
> >Has any one dyno tested a '89 350 TPI engine and then changed only the
> >thermostat (195 to 150) and removed the hot coolant going to the throttle
> >body to see the net 'real world' torque increase?
> >GMD
>
> On a a large number of EFI vehicles (if equipped)the ECU will never switch over
> to closed loop mode due to the low coolant temp.  The bypassing of the throttle
> body will work and give more power.
>
> JimZ

Jim (or anyone else for that matter),

Has anyone done any QUANTITATIVE testing of this effect??  I've been
hearing of the benefits of going to a colder thermostat, or NO
thermostat for that matter, since the '60s -- but nobody has ever mentioned
controlled testing.  Does one see gains of 10% HP, 1%,  1e-6 ???

John