B&S fuel-pump

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Tue Feb 27 03:36:59 GMT 1996

Hans wrote:

> My problem is to DRIVE the pump!
> A Bosch-car-fuel-pump consumes around 12 V 58W,
> my alternator brings 6V 60W. Aren't there any belt- or vacuum driven
> fuel-pumps?

I have a small fuel pump that I used for a 2 cyl Onan generator that
is a solenoid type unit with a built in transistor oscillator to drive
the plunger.  Only uses an amp or so at full flow...  it even has a pressure
regulator of sorts in that as the pressure builds up, the frequency increases
until it eventually stops at 5 or 6 PSI, until demand causes it to start
again.  I still have this thing kicking around, if you want I'll see
if there's a manufacturers name / part number on it.  I just picked it
up at a local industrial supplier for around $30.

Another suggestion:  I believe that Volkswagen Beetles used a small
electric pump to run the gas powered heater, this may be suitable for a
small 2 cyl engine, although I have no idea what kind of pressure it puts
out...

regards
dn

 Darrell A. Norquay              Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.         Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada        Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                 Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/    "Absolutum Obsoletum" - If it works, it's obsolete