Ducted Fan Engine

Jim Sturcbecher jsturs at bart.nl
Thu Feb 29 21:33:46 GMT 1996

>>As far as using a ducted fan engine is concerned, forget it!  These
>>engines run 15% - 25% nitro content alcohol-based fuel at 2-3 ounces
>>per minute consume glow plugs (one per ten minute flight), have a
>>nasty habit of flaming  out, and
>>if not carefully cleaned up after each session, develop rust deposits
>>in their crankshaft bearings that often lead to catestrophic engine failure.
>
>If you reduce compression and fit a spark-ignition-system, you can
>use normal-gas without nitro and therefore won't have any corrosion
>inside the housing.
>A model-engine normally is very reliable for years (exept
>race-engines which sometimes make more than 32000 RPM!)
>But I would also prefer electrical motors..

Are we talking about model "glo" motors or the new generation of model
gas turbines that run at aroun 115000 rpm and have their own computer
control system. These babies can put out 5Kg+ of thrust. Now maybe
here is the front-end of a turbo system? Only drawbak is they cost
around $3000+ :-(

Later,

Jim Sturcbecher
jsturs at bart.nl