Seeking opinions on an idea... SPICA Convert?

Miller,Brad Brad_Miller at so.xerox.com
Tue Jan 2 21:02:34 GMT 1996

EEECK!!!

 From my Weber Carb book - that setup is really expensive (Spica) and
 worth a lot of money in unmolested form.  I'd go get a Weber
 conversion kit (for now) to run the car, that'll give you the
 manifolds and other necessary components.  Then I'd go get a fuel
 injection setup based upon the Weber's.  I think there are numerous
 systems which use the same style throttle bodies and just add the
 injectors.   I don't have my handy book here to remember which
 companies have the stuff you need.  All in all, I'd go the simple
 (albeit bruteforce) method.  From what the Weber book says, those
 systems were great when they were in top shape, but as they
 deteriorated performance suffered.  The Webers would at least give you
 back performance and a high degree of tuning.  I'm just now cutting my
 teeth on them and I love 'em.  (Webers).  I find it hard to work on FI
 setups without knowing all the basics, and the Webers give me all the
 nitty gritty basics.

<*>Thus, my idea.  I'd use the Spica manifold, replace the mechanical injectors
<*>with EFI injectors, tack on a throttle position sensor, a
 temperature sensor,
<*>and a lead off the tach into some kind of simple box running in open loop
<*>mode.  In your opinions, is this feasable.  If so, any ideas as to
<*>difficulty?  Any suggestions for improvements?
<*>
<*>                              - Paul Witek
<*>