Gasification

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Fri Jan 5 23:37:59 GMT 1996

-> ity, and BSFC. It was presented to the Big Three, who dismissed the
-> i= dea for a variety of reasons, all of which disgusted the inventor.
-> Hi= s name was Smokey Yunick, about whose reputation I have mixed
-> feeling= s.

 Ah, the Yunick Miracle Motor, the essential parts of which were
"secret."  Yunick used an interheater instead of an intercooler, very
little water jacketing, and claimed to run the engine at temperatures
approaching thermonuclear meltdown.  He claimed the turbocharger was
"just a check valve" and produced no boost.  I never figured out how he
kept it from detonating to bits.  Supposedly GM and VW were both curious
enough to pony up for a look, but the results were never made public.
After a few typical Popular Science gosh-wow articles, the thing faded
away.  Yunick was a columnist for Popular Science.

 Yunick spent his last days at Circle Track, raving about pelicans,
green cards, calling for the government to support NASCAR, and writing
articles on the history of the small block Chevy which didn't agree with
anything previously published.  He disappeared from CT without so much
as a by-your-leave a couple of issues ago.  Whether he got canned for
advancing senility, or if it was a result of CT's recent editorial
shuffle and realignment as a "fan" magazine, I don't know.

====dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==