Electronic Ignition

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Mon Jan 8 05:29:45 GMT 1996

> I was told that this is an aftermarket copy of our chip.
> J.W. Harris                           Delco Electronics Corp.

I stand corrected.  I wasn't aware that Delco made their own chips.
The statement I made was based on the fact that I had hung a scope on
a 7 pin module, and it behaved exactly as the datasheet said it would,
and also in a telephone conversation with an Allegro applications
engineer a while back on an unrelated topic, he mentioned that most of
the automotive chips they sell are to major automobile manufacturers.
I was trying to convince him that while I wasn't GM, and I likely
wasn't going to buy a million chips, he should send me some evaluation
samples anyway.  I asked him directly who he was referring to, but he
wouldn't tell me.  (note how I did get you to say that this is the
type of chip Delco uses even though you said you couldn't confirm this
in an earlier thread!)

The point is kind of moot, however, since the original question was
about pickups and how they work, and aftermarket or not, it still has
to behave identically to the original.  (at least in theory, other
concerns such as reliability, etc. come into play).  Allegro may even
be a licensed second-source for the part.  The data sheet has some
information on how to interface to the device, which should come in
handy to anyone trying to understand the workings of the HEI.

ps how is your ECM project coming along?

dn

 Darrell A. Norquay                   Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.              Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada             Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                      Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/     "Ain't no substitute for clock speed or compression ratio"