Ford Sierra Cosworth ECU Prom

RAGHBIR SIAN sian at mail.bogo.co.uk
Mon Jan 8 18:56:22 GMT 1996

>>A friend has just acquired a 1989 Ford Sierra Sapphire Cosworth
>>and is experiencing some problems with the turbo. If the car is
>>driven on boost then all is fine until it comes off boost.
>
>It sounds like the wastegate actuator is sticking and leaving the wastegate
>open. It'll stay that way until the turbo cools off.
>
>Contact ian Sandford at Superchips on 01280 816781 for a standard chip.
>He'll do one cheap for you if you want it.
>
>Peter Wales
>President Superchips Inc
>Chairman Superchips Ltd        "Timing is everything"

It very much sounds like the wastegate like Peter has pointed out, but they
also have an uncanny habit of having faulty air temperature sensors. This in
turn turns the amal valve to feed the wastegate continously.

You did not say whether it is equiped with a catalytic converter, if it is
then all the above apply plus the the mixture becomes very rich which can
also have the same ish kind of effect.

The other place i would look at is the MAP sensor inlet pipe (people snap
and glue these ends)

Regarding a copy of the original chip you could send me the modified chip
and i can tell you what has been changed code wise. The data set that i have
is for a GpN car. I disassembled this code including all the other
cosworth's as well (sierra 3dr, sapphire 2wd, sapphire 4wd and the Escort
cosworth) quit a while back.

>From what i have seen from other proms is that nothing is hardly changed
apart from the boost cut and reinstate, the rev limits and possibly the fuel
map depending on the injectors.

If you want some data on the prom i.e. locations for most of the calibration
tables then let me know.

I hope this helps.

RAGHBIR SIAN          "As Always A ***CONTROL*** Freak"
Engine Control and Combustion analyst
E-mail: sian at mail.bogo.co.uk
Mob. 0378 653098

E-mail: sian at mail.bogo.co.uk