MAP sensor calibration

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Wed Jan 17 05:18:34 GMT 1996

> but so far all the alternatives suggested have confused density with
> viscosity.  mercury is extremely dense - in the ballpark with lead -
> and has a -low- viscosity, whereas the substitutes mentioned are all
> close to water in density.

For my 2 bits worth on the subject, there is no real substitute for
mercury in a manometer.  Motor oil is actually *lighter* than water.
Mercury has a density of around 11, as I recall, while water is 1.0.
Nothing else at that end of the periodic table is a liquid at room
temperature.  Even adding a heavy chemical such as zinc chloride to
water until you get a saturated solution will only allow you to reach a
practical density of about 2.0, and this stuff is nearly as nasty as
mercury.

Why don't you just go to your local gage supplier and get a gage
calibrated in " Hg? They are not that expensive (depending on how
accurate you need), and you'd have a hard time injuring yourself with
one, unless you dropped it on your toe :-]  Try a laboratory supply
house, or an industrial gage supplier.  May even be able to find
something on the local surplus market.

regards
dn

 Darrell A. Norquay                   Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.              Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada             Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                      Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/     "Ain't no substitute for clock speed or compression ratio"