O2 Sensor type?

robert dingli r.dingli at ee.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jan 17 23:44:09 GMT 1996

Hi Mark and other diy-efiers

> >I ran some calibration runs last week against an ADS9000 four gas analyser.
> >There is some problem with the UEGO in that the voltage output wrt AFR
> >has a 1.7V discrepency at stoiciometric and about 1.0V at the extremes
> >of my tests (12:1 and 25:1).  I'll be faxing NGK later today to find out
> >why the output is out of spec.
> >
> Robert,
>         Are yes, but is your ADS9000 correct! Four gas analysers use a
> "chemical cell" O2 sensor and they have a life of only about 12-18 months.
> Oxygen is used along with the other gases(3) to calculate the AFR so if this
> sensor is not reading correctly your AFR will be all over the place. The
> other problem is that most "cal gas bottles" do not contain any oxygen so it
> is hard to check.

This was my first thought.  I re-calibrated the ADS9000 and found that it
was almost spot on.  The ADS9000 is one of three that we have in the lab
along with a full EPA emissions bench and various individual sensors.  It
has 2-3 separate chemical sensors for the various gases and all of these
are showing the correct values at stoic.  A switching type EGO also backs
up these readings as do the torque readings.  I am inclined to believe the
ADS9000 is correct.

> With the "firewall mounted" controller NTK only claim +/- 0.5 AFR as far as
> I can remember.

The NGK data in front of me claims :
temperature dependency             +- 0.03V
dispersion of amplifier in TC-6000 +- 0.02V

> I would be very suspicious of it being 1.7 volts out at stoiciometric that
> does not sound correct to me. After all it only gives a 0-5 volt output so
> an error of 1.7 volts is pretty bad!!!!

Sorry, I meant 0.17V.  It shows 2.830-2.832 V at lambda one.

> Make sure you have enough power for the heater circuit I have run into
> problems with cicarette lighter plugs ie. dirty contacts, etc.

It is connected directly to the battery which gives a very steady 14.2 volts
while running.

> The early controllers could drive a meter movement directly however the
> later type which you have cannot, so make sure you are not "loading" the
> output. High impedence input or build yourself a voltage follower op-amp to
> give it some grunt!

I looked into this also.  A moving coil voltmeter gives the same reading
as the high impedance DVM.

> Also it is very sensitive you can watch each cylinder's gases coming down
> the exhaust pipe if you hang a scope off it!

That's what I'm using it for.  It's a lots more useful than waiting for
a four gas analyser to settle.

> Also do you have the correct output table ie. volts to AFR. Also 25:1 is a
> bit on the lean side of things to be testing spans. Quoted scale shows 10:1
> - 22:1 so 25:1 is really pushing it.
> 14.7:1 AFR = 3 volts.
> 10:1   AFR = 1.7 V
> 22:1   AFR = 2.65 V

I think we may be talking about a different NGK controller here.  Firstly,
the one I am using cost AUD$750 ex tax rather than the $350 that you quoted.
Secondly, the span for the controllers (of which there are three types) are
10:1 - 30:1 AFR for the normal unit (TC-6000), 14.5:1 - 52:1 AFR for the
TC-6000C and 10:1 - 14.5:1 for the TC-6000D.  All controllers use the same
sensor.

The TC-6000 which should give 3V at 14.57:1, 1.85 V at 10:1 and 3.45V at 22:1.
Given that our engine can run smoothly over lambda 4 (but ideally up to lambda
2) 22:1 is a bit rich for a lean limit.

>   Hope this helps,

Thanks for your input.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Robert Dingli
             Robert Dingli           r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au

Power and Control Systems                 Thermodynamics Research Lab
Electrical Engineering                    Mechanical Engineering
   (+613) 9344 7966                          (+613) 9344 6728
  University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3052, Victoria, AUSTRALIA