Need LOTS OF HELP making efi system

Edward Hernandez R ehernan3 at ford.com
Thu Jan 18 17:17:20 GMT 1996

Tim Coste wrote:

"I can't imagine Honda putting an $800-1000 LAF sensor in a Civic."

On the other hand, no one could imagine VTEC technology in a Civic, either. I've benchmarked the competition to some degree and continue to be impressed with the amount of money that Honda put into the engines which go into their most basic cars. I wish I had budgets like that!
   I think that $800 is excessive even for Honda, but if that's a 'retail' price, OEMs can get them at perhaps a third of the cost. Now it becomes remotely possible for Honda. Tack on the fact that they must improve their CAFE as a percentage of their existing capability, and you start to understand that it takes more money to find 5% improvement on a 35mpg vehicle than it does a 20mpg barge. Selling at a smaller margin is better than not selling at all, and Honda's reputation allows them the luxury of increasing the margin if needed.

Ed Hernandez
ehernan3 at ed8719.pto.ford.com