Engine Reversal and EFI

Charles Morgan cmorgan at efn.org
Sun Jan 21 06:20:08 GMT 1996

I want to put a stock fuel-injected Chevy 4.3L engine into a Corvair.  I
have three questions that I hope someone in this group might be able to answer.

(1) The crankshaft rotation (and hence firing order) must be reversed
(thought the camshaft and distributor rotation is preserved).  Would this
preclude using the stock fuel injection system (either TBI or CMFI)?  If so,
are there workarounds?

(2) The Corvair speedometer is driven by a cable turned by a front wheel.
Can this, through appropriate gearing, be used for a vehicle speed sensor?

(3) 1993 and later computers also interface with the transmission.  Since
I'm going to use the Corvair transmission, how should I terminate the unused
terminals (i.e., leave open, ground, ground through resistance)?

Thanks,
Charlie Morgan