Injectors and fuses

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Sun Jan 21 20:28:49 GMT 1996

> No auto manufacturer is going to bury a fusible link in the wiring anywhere
> which will totally disable the car and cannot be replaced!

I totally disagree with your above statement, 'cause I have had to replace,
on several occasions, fusible links (alternator output and main power feed
to the fuse panel come to mind) which are completely buried deep in the
wiring harness in some inaccesible location, and without which the car would
not run at all.

> No fuses in the injector feeds. CPU maybe, but not injectors.

I have yet to see any automobile which doesn't have fuses in ALL main
power feeds throughout the electrical system.  As was pointed out by
another reply to this thread, the fuses are there to protect the vehicle's
wiring, not whatever is connected to that wiring.  Fusible links are usually
used for high current feeds (say, alternator output) where it is impractical
(read too expensive) to put in an 80A fuse.  Note that in my original message
I said "MAY BE used".  In order to keep wiring complexity down, and thus the
number of fuses required, auto manufacturers may group several systems
together on the same power feed. Thus any given fuse in the panel may be
labelled, say, "AUX", but may feed injectors, fuel pump, and cigarrette
lighter from this circuit.  It may not be OBVIOUS that the injector drivers
are fused, but they are.

regards,
dn

 Darrell A. Norquay                   Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.              Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada             Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                      Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/     "Ain't no substitute for clock speed or compression ratio"