cossies, holy wars and non-emission cont

PRodda at MSM.mea.com PRodda at MSM.mea.com
Mon Jan 22 21:42:27 GMT 1996

========================
EMAIL:    paul.rodda at open.ac.uk
========================

>Jeez,  want to sart a wholy war??  just say a few words about who used
>what microcontroler and why...  :)

>6803 is not a bad chip, and I am sure the Cosworth system works well. I
>was -just- saying, if I had the resources, which maybe Cosworth did not, I
>would choose the 8061 (which is a custom 8096)  over the 6803 any day. And
>maybe twice on sunday.   Doesn't mattter, I would choose a 6811, or even
>better, a 68000 (332??) if I had total financial freedom..... and then I
>would surround it in Altera FPGA's.... and have a car that was smarter and
>faster then the average fax-moedm.. :)  (which usually has 2X the power of
>PC  its hooked up to :)  )
>

>---Lou

i did not, unfortunately, get any of the 'Holy War' volleys to which Lou
refers but here's a quick thought on the 'Holy War' sierra cosworth 6803 ecu
 - bear in mind the small fact that no car manufacturer is going to spend
more than they absolutely have to - the 6803 is pretty damned cheap and not
bad at doing a mass-market job.  the closest that most drivers (even cossie
freaks) get to the gubbins of their ECUs is to maybe do a 'chip change' on
the eprom and/or change MAP sensors and injectors.  the lunatic fringe (i.e.
most of us who are interested in HAVING some control (not simply working
with existing control s/w)).

ps - is there anyone else out there who comes from (and is going back to) a
NON-emission controlled country (yes, they're out there! South Africa for
one...)?

paul.
EMAIL:    paul.rodda at open.ac.uk