Sensor Questions?

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Mon Jan 29 20:22:50 GMT 1996

John T Stein <JSTEIN at dpc2.hdos.hac.com> Wrote:

| On Friday Jan 26, "SRavet" wrote the following in response to a
| request to contrast MAF vs. MAP sensor-based systems:
|

| > The difference is that MAF is more complicated, but is more tolerant of

| > engine modifications.  MAP (or SD, speed density) use a pre-calculated
| > volumetric efficiency value.  Basically, rpm determines the volume of
air
| > moving through the engine, and the pressure determines the amount of
oxygen
| > in that volume.  The computer then injects the proper amount of fuel.
If
| > you increase the breathing ability of this engine (headers or intake
modes,
| > etc), the computer doesn't know about it and will inject too little
fuel.

| > MAF systems are really SD based, but the computer is able to modify the

| > injector on time based on the reading from the MAF sensor.  It is much
more
| > tolerant of future engine modifications without requiring the prom to
be
| > updated.
| >
| > Steve Ravet
| > sravet at bangate.compaq.com
| > Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...
|
| I have heard this discussion of the "shortcomings" of MAP-based
| systems before and have always assumed that as the engine management
| computer observed a long-term lean condition (from the O2 sensor
readings), it
| would adjust the injector "on" time to correct, thereby accommodating
| any changes to engine volumetric efficiency brought about by engine
| hardware modifications.  In the case of a GM system, I would expect
| the block learn values to be above nominal (128).
|
| Is this assumption correct, or have I credited the engine computer
| with too much "intelligence"??
|
| John

John, you are correct, my description above was a little simplistic.  As
long as the ECM is in closed loop, it will adapt (within the block learn
limits).  If you aren't closed loop, though, pre-programmed values are used
which will result in a lean condition.

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...