New boy

Jonathan Lloyd john at jall.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 1 19:25:38 GMT 1996

Ime lurking and learning.  Ime a mechanical engineer with an interest in
cars and learning electronics just as fast as I can.  I homed in via the
WWW page on a search for info about the Ford EECIV.  Ive put a newish
Ford 2.9 V6 MPI into my old Reliant (British so most will not have heard
of them).  all installed OK so now I move on to try and understand what
the system is doing.  If I find out I'll let you know.
Thought I would start with a "simple" project and try a mod to:
1. mount a variable resistor on the dash
2. get the ECU to read the voltage prior to starting
3. if within programmed limit carry on as normal
4. if outside then start up and run normal for 2 mins then stop.

Guess I need to:
1. find some spare coding space in the chip
2. find the code formats
3. find a "start/run" voltage to switch the dash volt into the MAF
sensor .... could use rev counter volts??? and set MAF to 1v ?? to get
it going?

Not got very far yet other than a spare ECU mounted on the bench with a
settable voltage to feed to each input.  Having a bit of trouble with
the PIP signal having programmed a PC printer port (2 bits) to give a
0v, 9v or 12v (which seems to be the volts on the car when running).  It
is not clear to me what identifies cylinder 1, and the timing of the 12
to 9 drop.  The "How to tune Ford" suggests the SPOUT is the same as PIP
at idle but mine sure is not.  Any clues most appreciated
--
Jonathan Lloyd