New BMW ECU

thor at pixie.co.za thor at pixie.co.za
Wed Jul 3 05:17:39 GMT 1996

>At 03:05 PM 7/2/96 +0200, you wrote:
>>Hi there,
>>
>>Can anyone out there possibly help me. After many years of tinkering with
>>mixture, idle speed, rev limiter settings on various BOSCH MOTRONIC ECU's
>>fitted to BMW's, BMW seem now to have switched to a SIEMENS ECU especially
>>to the current 3 series (316is, 318is, 328i). Does anyone have any
>>information in the SIEMENS ECU's is it still 8051 (or derivative) based.
>>Even better does someone perhaps have an idea of where the data tables
>>reside. Any info would be most welcome either by post to the group or E-mail.
>
> Umm .. if your Siemens ECU is the MS41.1... I'd open it.. you're gonna
> be surprized since there is no EPROM in there .. only a soldered in Flash
> EEPROM .. at least in the US markets, OBD-II legislation prohibits the
> removeable proms ..
>
> Jim

Yup, you are correct Jim, there is a flash in the Siemens ECU, and it was
soldered. I removed the flash eeprom which was a 29C512 and with an adapter
socket, successfully converted the code over to a 27C512 EPROM.(Not that this
was really important as I could just as easily reprogrammed this flash or
any other
29C512 flash for that matter) My main problem is the data area's which I am
familiar with (Bosch Mortonic) have now obviously changed. I was curious to
know
if anyone else out there has managed to get any usefull info on this unit, which
would allow modification to the usual settings.

Gary.