cypress FPGA tools

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Mon Jul 8 19:27:45 GMT 1996

Mike Klopfer <klopfer at eagle.natinst.com> Wrote:

| Did you ever get the Cypress compiler and download software? If so what
| parts does the download software work on? Thanks for any update info on
| this or related fpga tools.
|
| mike

Mike asked me about the Cypress VHDL compiler that I bought, and since
there was some interest last time I mentioned it I figured I'd forward a
reply to the lists.

I just got v4.0 of the VHDL compiler.  I haven't used it much, but it
appears to be....  A VHDL compiler.  :-)  It supports all the Cypress
chips, including PALs, CPLDs, and FPGAs.  I think you need additional
software to really do your own FPGAs, though (like floorplanning and timing
analysis).  But for CPLDs it's a complete package including simulator.

The download cable/software wasn't available at the time, although it
should be now.  I need to call back and see.  The download cable/software
works with all of the Cypress "ISR" chips (in system reprogrammable).
These are the 371i to 375i.  They range from 32 to 128 macrocells, 44 to
160 pins.  Each chip is programmed thru 4 special pins, which means you
need an additional connector on the board if you want to reprogram them
in-circuit.  Actually, I guess an additional connector for each chip.  Or
it occurred to me that you could make a board with one cable connector and
a bunch of blank sockets to use as a "poor man's programmer".

I'd recommend this package to anyone interested, esp. since the price is
reasonable.  It was about $116 US with shipping, and it includes a textbook
published by Addison Wesley about VHDL on programmable logic.  The download
software and cable is another $100, and only runs on PC type platforms.
The WARP software itself is available for PCs or several workstations.

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...