GMP4 ECM '89 HELP?!?

Dave Zug dzug at ed.cecil.cc.md.us
Sun Jul 14 19:59:00 GMT 1996

hello, i'm new.. heres the short version of my quest:

I have an 89 pontiac grand prix turbo 3.1L. it uses a GMP4 ECM and i
have been trying to modify the "usual parameters" as it is called in one
of the messages i read in the archives of this mailing list..the spark
advance, the injector tables, the turbo boost limit, fans, TCC lockup
... ... ...  Anyway, i have READ the prom, and can see tables(though i
dont know which is which), i can burn a duplicate chip (its a 27c256,
mounted in the mem-cal next to the ELECTRONIC SPARK CONTROL module) but
every chip i burn with even one value changed, causes the ecm to go into
"limp home" mode i think.  i beleice the checksum has something to do
with it, but i dont know where the checksum is! i dont know how i'll
ever find the 15 pound boost limit setting, or find out which table is
what unless i can make subtle changes and burn a chip..the checksum is
keeping me from doing that! for info: the grand national 3.8L turbo and
the TTA 3.8L turbo use different ECM's with 4k eeproms, my ECM is a
different type. what i guess i need is to fing the original programmer
and get him to give me all the data he has! yea right.  any help would
be great  thanks!