G-Tech Hp Meter Update

ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV
Mon Jul 22 15:45:54 GMT 1996

>I assume that this unit will yield the horsepower at the road wheels
>and not flywheel horsepower.

>Can you enter in your coefficient of drag and frontal area into
>the unit for wind resistance?  If they have some buried constant for
>these, then all bets are off on what you will get.

You are correct that it is horsepower delivered at the wheels
minus rolling and aero losses.  There is no correction figure
available for frontal area and coeficient of drag or friction.

Because of all these things I think is is a OK as a qualitative
tool, but lacks as an absolute quantitative tool.  You can
still see instantaneous HP versus speed or RPM.  However, that
means keeping one eye on the meter, which is not ideal.

It still may be the best thing available today, and easier to
use than a stopwatch.  I suspect the braking and cornering
functions are less problematic.

paul timmerman