water injection questions

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Mon Jul 22 18:00:54 GMT 1996

-> A lot of people mix Methanol (50/50) with the water.  Water alone
-> will act to slow the combustion process; equivalent to raising the
-> Octane rating (All Octane rating is, is a gauge of how fast a
-> particular gasoline fuel burns in a combustion chamber).

<heavy sigh>

 Octane rating has *nothing* to do with how fast the fuel burns.  An
octane rating is a measure of an engine's resistance to detonation, as
empirically measured in a standard engine under standard conditions,
compared to a standard fuel, which is called octane.  Flame front speed
is very similar for all gasolines regardless of octane rating.

 Water does not slow the combustion process.  Its primary function is to
reduce the intake charge and combustion chamber temperatures, which help
the engine avoid detonation.

====dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==