water injection questions

doug at apogeesys.com doug at apogeesys.com
Mon Jul 22 18:16:39 GMT 1996

>I was reading my friend's Car Craft from 1980 and noticed an article
>involving water injection to reduce detonation.  My question is: What
>happened to this wonderful idea?  I saw an ad toward the back of the
>magazine in which Edelbrock that was selling their Vari-Injection
>system. However, such a system is not in their catalog anymore, nor can
>I find any mention of water injection in my current magazines.

I just received a water injection system I'm planning to put on my
supercharged Miata. The mfr is Spearco, and the design is very simple and
straightforward. Instructions warn against positioning the reservoir above
the nozzle, to prevent water from being siphoned into the engine when the
engine is off. As to corrosion and long term effects, I don't expect these
to be a problem, as the injector only kicks in at a predetermined boost
level, say 4.5 psi., so it's not a continuous thing.

Doug Gubbins
Apogee Systems, L&H Technologies
Charlotte NC

"There's always another bug..."