MAF Reading at cold temp?

atsakiri at ford.com atsakiri at ford.com
Tue Jul 23 18:41:27 GMT 1996

> I measured it in the Texas heat (MAT of 109F!!) and I have a peak
> of 283 G/S, with more than 262 G/S the last 300rpm before the revlimiter.
>
> My question is: Can someone tell me how much these readings will increase
> when temps drop? Say to 50F? Will the MAF diagnostics fail?

A rough estimate can be obtained by calculating the increase in density of
the ambient air.

 rho1 = p/(R*T1) = density at 109 F

 rho2 = p/(R*T2) = density at T2

 where rho = density
       p = pressure (assumed the same at both temperatures)
       R = gas constant
       T = absolute temperature (R)

 So,  rho2/rho1 = T1/T2 = (109 + 460)/T2

 At a temperature of 50 F, T2 = 50 + 460 R, and the density is about
 12% greater.  rho2/rho1 = 1.12.

Anthony Tsakiris