Throttle Pos sensor vs. MAP/MAF

Lamari, Matthew MLAMARI at origin.ea.com
Tue Jul 23 18:54:09 GMT 1996

In looking at the engine as an air flow circuit, I look at the throttle as
an impedance, a fairly constant pressure outside, MAP pressure inside,
another impedance (valves etc.), and a vacuum caused by engine at a certain
speed.

The thing is, temperature/external pressures aside (which have to be catered
for anyway even when measuring air pressure/flow),

For a given engine at a given speed, doesn't one throttle position map to
one pressure?  I understand there can be some lag; but MAP sensors aren't
instantaneous in reading anyway.

I understand that pressure readings may harken back to the days of vacuum
advance in old distributors; but, temperatures aside, would a throttle to
RPM lookup be any different to a Pressure to RPM lookup in any situation?

(I understand existing systems use Throttle pos as a signal of intent, e.g.
full throttle tells the system to throw extra fuel on top of what it would
normally in a situation, and low throttle means try to idle; but is the lag
that significant that, for a given physical setup, one throttle setting for
one RPM the pressure/airflow changes?

Granted, without this, ducting changes and even a filter change would screw
things up; but not in a fully calibrating system. . . .

Matthew.