Throttle Body Sizing

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Thu Jul 25 07:11:32 GMT 1996

Orin Harding wrote:

> While trying to decide on the proper size throttle body for my MGB EFI
> project, I found the following formula for determining carburetor air flow requirements in "Auto Math Handbook" by John Lawlor:
>
> CFM = (RPM x displacement) / (2 x 1728)
>

> What gives here guys?
>As you've guessed, this is a simplistic formula which does not take into
account gas speed, volumetric efficiency or pressure drops.

> To further this thought, shouldn't the intake valves duration somehow be included in this?
>Duration is only one aspect of what you need for the answer--since the
valves open progressively, the rate of flow changes across the
duration--and the absolute flow changes with manifold pressure.  If a
carburetor choke (or a throttle body) were sized for average flow, it
would present an undue restriction on peak flow.  Second, overlap must be
figured into the equation, since the gas going down the pipe is doing
useful work (if the tuning is correct) creating pressure waves, even
though it has absolutely nothing to do with displacement.  Both of those
factors change the CFM calculated at absolute pressure.

As far as the best means of determining correct throttle body size, there
are probably too many variables for the ordinary plug-in formula to
consider, many of which would have to be empirically derived.  But the
best means of making assumptions is to begin with the torque peak.  By
definition, that is the point of maximum volumetric efficiency for any
engine.  Unless your torque curve is flat up to 6000 rpm (if it is, tell
us how to do it-naturally aspirated, of course!), the volumetric
efficiency drops progressively at higher rpm, and you can make estimates
from that with your revised formula.  Finally, since you're already
limited to throttle bodies in the marketplace, the first rough step might
be to make sensible estimates of horsepower, and then look around at
throttle bodies on engines of comparable displacement and power
production and pick one that fits.

Unfortunately, I've just been going through both of Philip Smith's tuning
books looking for that handy plug-in formula, and it just isn't there.
Much of this can be calculated _if_ you have accurate pressure data; no
wonder access to the flow bench is so valued....
> Hopefully one of you will have an answer to this.Don't know if it did, but at least it tells you were right not to size
according to the simple formula. <g>
Cheers.