Throttle Body Sizing

LotusM50 at aol.com LotusM50 at aol.com
Thu Jul 25 18:02:57 GMT 1996

In a message dated 96-07-24 18:18:30 EDT, eusmsrt at exu.ericsson.se (Markus
Strobl) writes:

<< A single 40mm TB sounds alittle restrictive for your application. But you
 won't flow over 500cfm, like you calculate. I don't know enough about MGs
 to recommend a specific size TB. Just as a comparison, my 5.7l V8 uses
 twin 48mm TBs w/ 5800rpm redline.

The Lotus Turbo Esprit which has a 2.2 liter engine, and in varying states of
development puts out 210 - 300 hp, uses a two twin 45mm throttle bodies in a
sidedraft type arrangement.  A single 40mm throttle body does seem alittle
small for the MGB (for a 1.8 liter, with 125 - 175 hp).  A side draft
carburator fitting for a MGB would take 40mm Webers or Dellortos, giving each
cylinder a 40 mm throttle plates.  You might want to call TWM Induction, who
make FI throttle bodies, and ask them for their recommendation for an MGB.  I
am sure it is an application with which they have dealt.

Cheers,

Bonn