water injection questions???

Robert E. Yorke yorker at deltanet.com
Thu Jul 25 18:22:04 GMT 1996

Paul:  Don't think I can use the sprayers with my current setup.  My
air-to-water intercooler is mounted inside my trunk, so a water spray onto
the intercooler would just flood hell out of everything!  After re-reading
your post, I realize you're using an air-to-air vice air-to-water unit.
Your stated liking for the air-to-water type because of the desire to avoid
the heatup might be worthwhile, but you can't avoid it completely.  Also,
the best the air-to-water can do is cool  to ambient.  Putting ice water in
the reservoir fixes THAT though, albeit for only a relatively short period
of time.

At 08:33 AM 7/25/96 -0700, you wrote:

>>Paul:  What kind of setup do you use for your "Intercooler sprayer"?
>
>I have experimented with both water injection and intercooler spraying.
>
>The intercooler spraying is a rail with two spray nozzles mounted in
>the noze facia, pointing at the air to air intercooler. I run some
>plastic pipe up from the trunk, tie wrapped to the underside of the car.
>The trunk has a 5 gallon stainless tank and a CO2 tank and reg.
>
>What I have noticed in testing is that with repeated runs, I normally
>see a quick tail off in performance, becuase my intercooler is heating up.
>I am moving slowely and sometime stop breifly between runs.  The
>first run will start with 20c ambient air, peak IC input of maybe 120c,
>and peak output of 60c air.  The next run I might get 150c from the turbo
>and 80c air from the intercooler. This results in 5-10% reduction in power.
>If I run the sprayer, I can run cooler runs, like my first example repeatedly.
>As long as the water holds out.
>
>My best results are runing concurrent IC spraying and water injection.
>I run the water sprayer down stream of the IC, thus giving one more
>cooling shot.  I control the system by using turbo air output temperature,
>becuase it heats up fast and I turn both on above about 65C.
>
>I like the idea for a water to air IC, cuase you get around my heatup
>problem.  I don't want to do the necessary mods to make that happen in
>my car, (yet?).
>
>I can point you toward some sprayers in the McMaster Carr catalog.
>I don't have it here right now but email me if you want them.
>
>paul timmerman

Riverside, CA
2 '88 GTs!