Throttle body sizing

talltom talltom at teleport.com
Thu Jul 25 23:28:29 GMT 1996

Alright, heads up everybody, I'm about to provide an example of ignorance
rivaled by few. Correct me if I'm wrong, but keep it under 100 mgs. eh?

  All this stuff about throttle sizing, valve duration, rpm, add infinitum.
Who cares? Isn't the object to get as much velocity as possible?
   Yes I know you can make the hole to big, but the reason it's to big is
that the valve flow rate isn't linear and opens too much at low speeds.

    Anyhow what I'm threatening to do is use 8 2litre vw throttle bodies
that have the spherical recess that the throttle blade recesses into near
the idle position. To me it appears this will provide a gradual enough
opening, and serve to keep velocity high. Further, I'm going to make the
throttle plates all dump towards the top of the port as I believe it will
provide laminer air flow. Kinsler made fuel injection manifolds with
throttle plates that went one way on one side of the engine, and the other
way on the other side. What a riot!

PS. with a different cam and gears the computer sez my 54 cornbinder
dumptruck will do 9.79 in the quarter! :->