water injection questions???

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.telstra.com.au
Thu Jul 25 23:56:02 GMT 1996

> > I like the idea for a water to air IC, cuase you get around my heatup
> > problem.  I don't want to do the necessary mods to make that happen in
> > my car, (yet?).
>
> I'm thinking about going to a beer cooler (ice chest) full of ice water
> for use in my '91 GMC Syclone, which has an air/water system from the
> factory.
>
> There's also a company in the Northwest that makes a conversion kit
> that allows re-routing of the A/C Freon to the liquid intercooler. 30
> degree output temps are claimed, but I'm not sure how much faith I have
> in such a claim. It's an interesting approach, nonetheless.

FWIW, A guy here (australia) made an intercooler system with air conditioning
parts. The part on the engine was constructed (I _think_) by having lots
of small tubes for the air to flow through and surrounded by the freon:

_____________________________________
      |_______________________|
       _______________________
      |_______________________|
       _______________________   <-- Air goes thru small tubes
      |_______________________|
       _______________________
______|_ ___________________ _|______
       | |                 | |
       | |                 | |
     Freon in          Freon out

This doesn't show the freon surrounding the smaller tubes.. use your
imagination.

As to the thermal efficiency and other such things.. I wouldn't have a
clue!!

The trick some people with rotary turbos use here (i/c on top of
engine, relatively flat) is to make up a set of walls to go around the
top of it and pile in ground up dry ice (for drag racing obviously).
I have heard they get air temps well below zero and a large increase in
power.

For a street application apparently a methanol-water mix
sprayed onto the i/c is reasonably effective.. I even thought about
using a CO2 fire extinguisher to spray on it, but the shock drop in temp
wouldn't be too good :-(

Cheers,
Craig.