Diesel MAF-sensor?

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Fri Jul 26 00:31:46 GMT 1996

Gary W Harris wrote:

> Text item:
>
> What about measuring the fuel flow--since the Dudsel operates at WOT, one could
> use RPM/VE to calculate airflow (similar to a EFI MAP system), throttle position
> to measure fuel flow, thus get some reasonable approximation allowing
> particulate emission control.-- or perhaps fuel flow/injection timing needs to
> modulated to control particulates
> Gary, the latest electronically-controlled heavy-duty diesels modulate
injector timing to control fuel flow.  Most, upon start-up, use a
modified MAP sensor to establish a baseline for ambient atmospheric
pressure and ambient air temp, then, after start-up, the MAP only reads
turbo boost in the intake manifold.  Most run primarily from a limited
number of sensors, including fuel pressure, and a heavily-mapped
operation cycle to include smoke reduction modes, etc., based on feedback
from the transmission and the throttle potentiometer.

The mass air-flow sensor used in the system I mentioned was linked to a
Ford computer which, I think, was used mostly to calculate inlet air
volume.  Pre-programmed into the computer was a routine to initiate
heating of coils in ceramic disks which heated to a temperature capable
of burning off trapped particulates.  It worked badly, and was finally
replaced by catalytic converters which work much more reliably than this
system ever did.  I used that example simply to illustrate an awareness
of the problems associated with air flow through a MAF sensor.
Cheers.