Holley FI

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 29 23:20:57 GMT 1996

>>I would like to hear from anyone with any experience with the Holley
>>after market throttle body injection units.
>>
>>I am currently using their 650 cfm unit w/out EGO feedback (i.e.
>>plain speed density using only RPM, TPS and engine temp. for operating
>>parameters)  It has bought me a 50% increase in MPG (from 8 to 12) over
>>my worn out stock variable venturi carb (on an '82 Bronco) and works
>>quite well.
>
>I wonder if I could use it to improve the MPG on my Toyota Land Cruiser.
>Does it have a means for using MAF.  I am currently working (thinking) on a
>self-designed multi-port, MAF, based EFI unit.  A Holley throttle body unit
>might be an excellent intermediate measure- learning curve and all that
>sort of thing you know...  Any idea whether or not they come in other CFM
>ratings, 650 is probably too big for a 258cid straight six.
>
>John Brewer
>

>"Any man who would trade liberty for security deserves neither." -  Ben
>Franklin

John
I don't sell Holley -- or anything else -- but you should contact them
and get their catalog.  They make several types of EFI units, mine
being the most basic and cheapest, about $600.  I bought it because
I had already tried the carburetor route with little improvement
and didn't want to continue to throw money down that hole.  I thought
(and still think) that this is a very reasonable way to do sort of what
you said -- get started and improve upon it.

No, the unit I have only has a $200 option to add EGO sensor feedback.
It is nice in that the analog controls are in the cockpit with you.  I
have a digital voltmeter on an oxygen sensor that I use to see how it
is working in cruise.  Under acceleration (apparently determined by
TPS vs. RPM) the A/F ratio gets low (EGO output approches 1 volt).

As far as other cfm ratings, there are several variations which are
approved replacements for various auto model's TBI systems and they
are lower cfm.

(I don't have Holley's number, etc. at hand, but their tech. support
number is 502-781-9741 (9:30-11:30 & 12:30-3:30. Sorry, don't know time
zone, though I think it's CST.  I also don't recommend the tech. line
unless you have a long time and lots of money for LD charges.)

Tom Cloud