Ford distributor cam position sensors

Jeff Fisher jfisher at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 30 02:55:34 GMT 1996

>>I have an '82 Bronco with 351-W with crank sensor.  My son has an '86 with
>>a 302 and the same sensor setup.
>>
>You should have a PIP signal available from the ignition module which will
>tell you number 1 fire. Ford needs this since their system is sequential
>esp in the stang
>: peter

Peter,

Yes, my 'stang came from the factory with SFI, however the built in
distributor mounted indexed camshaft position sensor has only 8 teeth.
Unfortunately that does not provide sufficient timing accuracy for my end
application.  There are only 8 teeth, even worse they are spinning at half
the speed of the crank.  It does, however provide indexing of which cycle
the engine is on, and I will use the stock unit for that.

By the way, for anyone else working with Ford distributor TFI cam sensors,
here is the pinout (Looking at the word "Motorcraft" with the connector on
your right):

TOP    1: PIP signal output
       2:
       3: