MAF Conversions

RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au
Tue Jun 4 07:15:06 GMT 1996

From: (peter paul fenske) pfenske at direct.ca:smtp
Date:  3/06/96 19:49

>1- what does a MAF sensor offer that a MAP and inlet air temp sensor
>
>>MAF directly measures Air Mass. Fueling is simply based on AF ratio
>>desired not extensive engine mapping. In other words a change in
>>engine parms does not require a recalibration within limits.

But you can calculate Mass Airflow from manifold temp, air density and
engine speed.  Why is this so inferior?

>>MAF is continuous. Just like MAT or CTC.

What do you mean by continuous?  Most ECU's are digital and require
some form of ADC, therefore you have to decide where (time-wise) to
sample the sensor output.

>6 - what kind of manifold filling compensation do people use?
>
>>Usually taken care of in VE corrector.

VE? Volumetric Efficiency?  What sort of corrector/algorithm?

re: airflow fluctuations, I've data from a 1.8l 4-cyl that I'm working
on that at one speed-load point has airflow varying from 20g/s to
70g/s at twice crank speed!  This would not be uncommon.  How have
people overcome this in MAF conversions?