How about no MAF or MAP?

Josh Karnes joshk at tanisys.com
Wed Jun 5 16:16:39 GMT 1996

> My pet project at the moment, is a EFI (& Elec. Ign.) system for my
> Datsun 510 club race car. I've taken one look at your average flap
> type mass airflow sensor (280ZX)

L-Jet.

OK, I wanna get into this discussion, as I have a BMW with an L-Jet
that I'd love to modify.  Of course, this car has the complete L-Jet
on there now, with all the sensors and AFM, TPS, etc.  Also, the
original throttle body.

I don't have to meet any emmissions tailpipe tests or whatever here
in Austin either, so I am very much interested in ditching the AFM in
my car.  I assume that after a certain number of rpms, the ECU takes
over for the miixture curve.  It has to sense this rpm somewhere,
right?  Which means that there must be some circuitry in there for
determining injector pulse width based on rpm.  This must also be
independent of the throttle position.

Is it feasible that you could feed the AFM inputs on the ECU with the
output of some circuit comprising of a frequency-to-voltage converter
and some op amps, so you could simulate a condition of the variable
resistor AFM?  Basically a voltage is applied to the rail of the AFM,
then there is some resistance, so there is an output voltage after
the drop through the resistor (there must be a reference resistor in
the ECU, I guess).  So, with a frequency-to-voltage converter
sampling pulses from the coil, you can convert the rpms to a voltage.
 You can then use some sort of variable resistor to find the throttle
position.  Use these to drive the input of an op amp that can be
tuned to give a voltage output approximating that of the AFM in the
same scenario.  This would adjust the pulse width of the injectors
based both on throttle position and on rpm.  No restriction from the
AFM either.

Just a thought.  I am sure you guys have been all over mmodifying
L-Jet EFI, so is there an archive anywhere I can read?  I'd like to
get up to speed on the state of the discussion before asking a bunch
of questions that have been answered a million times or bringing up
topics that have been covered already.

Later-
Josh Karnes                                                 joshk at tanisys.com
Renaissance Man                        http://www.tanisys.com/~joshk/home.htm
Tanisys Technology                                     http://www.tanisys.com
Austin, Texas                      '78 BMW 530i | '72 Datsun 240Z | IZCC #308