MAP vs MDP

wmcgonegal at rr.etc.ncr.doe.ca wmcgonegal at rr.etc.ncr.doe.ca
Fri Jun 7 14:13:50 GMT 1996

>Most MAP sensors are really differential pressure sensors with one port open
>to atmosphere.  This automatically compensates for any differences due to
>altitude or Barometric Pressure, and essentially measures the difference
>between atmospheric and manifold pressure.  Some systems (Cadillac springs to
>mind) have a separate BP sensor as well as the MAP, and compensate that way.
>Some systems use an absolute pressure sensor (referenced to a hard vacuum)
>and simply take a reading before the engine starts to determine current BP,
>and remove the BP as an offset.  This obviously doesn't work too good if you
>drive up a mountain without stopping the engine once in a while to "catch up".

>dn

Why would they call a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor a MAP sensor
and not a MDP (Manifold Differential Pressure) sensor if it measures
differential pressure?  All that I have ever read or heard about MAP
sensors is that they are absolute.  There may be a few designs that
use only a differential sensor, I don't know.  With a MAP sensor
(truly absolute that is), you can measure the atmospheric pressure
before the vehicle is started and compensate accordingly once the
vehicle is running.  I do not see how a differential sensor could
compensate for altitude or barometric pressure unless you had a second
absolute sensor.  With only a differential sensor you have no idea of
what the barometric pressure is.  Without this information, how do you
correct for air density?  A differential sensor would work fine if you
always drove at the same altitude and your barometric pressure hardly
ever changed.  Please enlighten me further.

Will McGonegal