EFI questions and answers

Todd Knighton knighton at cris.com
Fri Jun 7 17:53:12 GMT 1996

ehernan3 at ford.com wrote.

> PS: I don't have access to the Web, but I would like to know the list's experience and recommendations on aftermarket O2 sensors,
especially the ones that use

	We have been using a Motec Air/Fuel ratio monitor for a couple
of years, it gives us accurate air/fuel measurements using a 4 wire
Bosch probe from 11.0/1 to 23.5/1.  Contact Motec Systems USA or JGM
Enterprises, one in the same at (714) 897-6804 at 5692 Buckingham Dr.
Huntington Beach, CA 92649.  The unit cost is $2,800.00 with the sensor
and has outputs for 0-5v vs lamda or lamda/10 (14.7 = 1.47v etc.) and
many other uses. It will display in lamda or air/fuel ratio for about 7
different fuels.  The only problem we have with it is the price.  The
sensors last about 200 hours on power testing and 50 hours on power with
leaded fuel.  We've experienced higher hours due to most of the testing
and setup being at part throttle and light.  Full throttle dials in
pretty easy.
	The next best one seems to be utilizing the UEGO sensor but
these units all get up over $7,000.00 plus and are probably not for the
DIY'er.
	Cheap units come from Haltech, they use a standard 3 wire or 1
wire Bosch type probe and use 30 led's for display.  If you had
something to calibrate this unit against, it might work o.k.

	On to us,  I've converted an 1988 Bosch Motronics from Air Flow
to Speed Density system and have some problems I need help on.
1.	Air Temp.  I'm altering the injector duty according to the old
PV=nRT formula where T is in Degrees Kelvin.  This overcompensates and I
don't know why.  The factory Air Temp function that was used on the Air
Flow Correction was about 25% of this compensation for air temp.  I've
tried calculating a function using the SAE correction factors for
horsepower, because they use air temp as a function and these come alot
closer to the factory compensations, but are still no the same.
	Air temp compensation at idle doesn't seem to be the same as at
part throttle or full throttle conditions either, why and how do you
compensate for this.
2.	Idle compensation.  The closed loop idle compensation function
Porsche had used on this unit worked pretty good for the Air Flow type
system, but surges like crazy with the speed density system.  Does
anyone have any good examples of closed loop idle comp. functions or PID
loop stuff I could try, or maybe a fix for the Motronics one.
3.	Barometric pressure compensation.  Why do you need to compensate
for BP when if you are using an absolute BP sensor.  I can understand
the stoichiometric thing about high altitude vs low altitude and if it
is part or full throttle, but who cares on a performance application, or
let closed loop figure that one out.  Will the calc's be correct on a
system that was designed to run, say, 13.0 / 1 air fuel ratio all the
time, no matter what the condition.  Would the air fuel ratio change at
different altitudes?

	We've used all of the above sensors mentioned in the letters,
the Mass air flow sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, Manifold air
pressure sensor, as well as the Flapper door air flow meter, they all
certainly have their draw backs.
	The flapper door is restrictive and only see's CFM (cubic feet
per minute), not Mass. As well as it uses a resistor element that's
prone to wear out.
	The Mass Air Flow Sensor, sees mass but on the high power
systems we do, when you have a sensor that will read 800 horsepower, the
idle and low speed stuff is horrible.  The resolution is not according
to load at all rpm ranges, but according to overall range of air flow.
It also need to be trimmed for throttle position in our application
because it's about 6 inches from the throttle body.  It gets so messed
up from air flow disturbance and turbulance that the original calc's
aren't even close.  Also on turbo engines it gets real interesting when
you shut the throttle down from a boost condition and release all the
air that thing just measured and is trying to inject the fuel even
though the air is not going in the engine!  Resonance messes with the
MAF's big time, especially in racing cam type applications, for get
trying a straight calc.  The MAF's measure equally in both directions
and don't know which way it's going so they tend to jump their reading
up at high resonance periods or turbo pressure blow back.  The Bosch Air
Flow meter is the best one I've used so far off the new Porsche 993's
but it runs out of range at about 460 hp.  The Ford Hot wire is the
stupidest thing I've ever seen, or the aftermarket ones anyway.  They
use a 3.5" O.D. tube with a .5" hot wire mounted on the I.D. of the
tube. (that's Outer Diameter and Inner Diameter by the way.)  And that
thing if it's rotated about 5 degrees in our application is metering a
whole new air flow stream.  It might work if you had room to put a 3
foot pipe between the engine and the air flow meter with now curves
whatsoever to laminarize the flow, but that's kind of hard to do in an
engine compartment.
	The Manifold air pressure sensor measures load at independent
rpm ranges but certainly not mass and transients are definately
interesting.  They seem to be able to be taken care of with a throttle
position sensor, you do have to utilize acceleration enrichment as well
as deceleration enleanment.  The Map sensor alone cannot compensate for
enrichment without some other device.  There is a delay in the pressure
change versus air flow.  The sensor doesn't know until it's too late
that the motor needs enrichment.  I've also tried just straight
calculating the injector duty cycle from engine displacement, pressure,
temp, injector size, air fuel ratio, and volumetric efficiency, and was
never able to get it to work everywhere.  I ended up making a trim map
to trim all the possible situations, and by the time I did that I threw
the whole thing away and just made a map that uses straight injector
openings then compensated for the other things later, much less
headaches.

Sorry for rambling on, but I've just joined this newsletter and I guess
I had a bit to say.

Thanks for the help in advance

Todd Knighton, Protomotive Engineering
Email knighton at concentric.net