Knock sensor?

talltom talltom at teleport.com
Sat Jun 8 11:39:21 GMT 1996

Alright! The thinking around here is getting to damned conventional. The Ford
guys don't weem to bring up th efact that Ford systems will not allow actual
readings of sensors, just a listing of whether or not readings are within
parameters. Not!

   Gm seems like they might have something with their gen 5&6  ecu's, but
their great fancy web page has no ordering info, and the local dealer
recommeds a dealer 100's of miles away for "speed equip."(I live five miles
from the GM training center, in  a town with a half milion poplation.)

  So now to tick everybody off, what's the matter with using the Saab trionic
system? Supposedly it senses combustion chamber density and adjusts timing
on a per cylinder basis.

   If it's so hard for the people on this list to get dyno time why not design
a system that tunes itself on the road as it's being driven? Even a dyno
can't duplicate driving conditions exactly and once a self adjusting ecm came
out dynos, and millions of different models of ecms would be unnecessary.
A few programable operating parameters and one size could fit all. Detroit
Deisel Engine control uses something like this currently. The Saab system
is largely software controlled and would seem a likely platform.

  When you get it to work I want one that I can switch to 4,6, or 8 cyl,
and will work on turbo charged 500 caddy in a 1ton 4x4 54 Cornbinder!

  Any challengers for off the wall?