EFI questions and answers

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Mon Jun 10 01:50:58 GMT 1996

> >The next best one seems to be utilizing the UEGO sensor but
> >these units all get up over $7,000.00 plus and are probably not for the
> >DIY'er.
>
> Don't you mean "the" best rather than "next" best?
> Horiba  sells a UEGO meter for about $2500, and if you have connections
> in the automotive industry you can get a UEGO sensor + controller box +
> cable for just over a grand, directly from NTK. You make your own display.
> I just got mine. Very nice for tuning away from stoich!
>
> Fred

The NTK/Horriba  unit uses the UEGO sensor that requires a complex
constant current supply and a transfer function that is not known
except generally in a couple of SAE papers. Horriba owns the marketing
rights and sell unit for $2400, replacement sensors for $900. If
you promise in writting that the unit will not be used for a/f
measurements but for cpu control etc, NTK will sell you sensor for $400
and box for $660, a total of $1060. This is a good unit but you must
provide a separate mounting bung as it will not run factory ecu.
Bosch makes a very special voltaric O2 sensor that is used in their
$9800 LA-2 a/f monitor. This sensor is specially made for constant temp
and reduced flows and is compatabile with std ecu. You can replace
std O2 sensor with LA-2 unit and tee off and coneect to std car cpu and
your external LA-2 elec box and thus monitor a/f.
Turns out, it is not too hard and Jim conforti and I are working on
a cheap display that will use the bosch sensor ( < $200 ) and give
readout of a/f from 0.7 (rich) to about 1.25 (lean). The advantage
of this sensor other than being affordable is its ability to run the car
while you monitor any mods.
Jim and I will keep list advised of this project.

Frank Parker