Anybody build their own 5th wheel?

Daniel R Burk ws6transam at voyager.net
Mon Jun 17 18:07:43 GMT 1996

I'm building myself a race analysis package for an upcoming "run for fun"
drag race at Milan dragway in Michigan on July 27th.  Here is what I've come
up with so far, as well as my questions concerning the acquisition of speed and
distance.

I'm using a GM-designed ProDAS model 6 data acquisition system to record my
data.  It has inputs for analog, digital, and differential/single-ended
frequency signals.  In addition it can "count" the pulses from the frequency
input. (Also known as the trigger.)
        I will be recording these signals:
                RPM
                forward and rearward acceleration in G's
                Distance traveled in feet
                Speed in MPH.

The first two signals come from the ignition, and an Analog Devices 1 axis
accelerometer.  The second two are going to come from a 5th wheel that I want
to make from 10 speed bicycle tire.  Has anyone had any experience with
making one of these?  I am going to make a light aluminum frame for the
wheel that attaches to the rear bumper of the car.  The frame will have a
photo diode and an LED mounted on it so as to do one of two things:
        Illuminate the Photodiode continuously, such that the light beam is
broken         by the spokes.

        Reflect the light off the aluminum rim, which has been painted with
flat black paint, except for radial dashes every fifteen degrees.

        Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on how I can improve
this design?   Any suggestions for an LED/Photo-receptor package that is not
influenced by stray light?

--- Dan.

                ws6transam at voyager.net