DIY_EFI Digest V1 #171

Steve Powers steve.powers at spdg.COM
Wed Jun 19 17:24:22 GMT 1996

Orin asks:

> Have you used an Avocet recently?  I used to have one and it didn't work very
> well, had Audi battery contacts I think, I had to wedge bits of paper in
> there to make sure it didn't lose power.
>
> Orin.

about every other day. I'm currently doing alot of bicycle training. I
have used Avocets since they came out and wouldn't use any other. I had
a Cateye Solar which was a POS. I think I've got about 4 of the li'l buggers.

Most magnets are just one pulse per rev. More pulses require more magnets
which brings more mass. Avocet uses a magnetized ring similar to a hall
effect encoder magnet. Their ring has 20 pole reversals over its
circumference. COnsequently, they are more accurate due to more information
for the speed averaging algorithm. The diameter and mass are small. Folks
on the BMW list report that they do quite well at speeds over 100.

steve powers ... '95.5 S6 ... '95 620RX/C ... '91 K100RS-16V ... '88 R100S
spowers at spdg.com * stratos product development group * seattle, washington

"I must tell you that these are strong Bavarian beer-carrying horses, not
 the smaller ones of Italy." (Ferdinand Piech)