Bosch Motronic Questions

WERNER_HAUSSMANN at HP-Loveland-om2.om.hp.com WERNER_HAUSSMANN at HP-Loveland-om2.om.hp.com
Thu Jun 20 22:22:32 GMT 1996

The Bosch Air Meter is a vane that is hooked to a logorithmic
potentiometer.  The output is usually in the form of two voltages.  One
voltage is fixed, the other is from the potentiometer.  The ratio of the
two voltages gives air flow. The vane changes the air stream cross section
area to get air  flow.  There is also a thermistor to measure temperature.

Changing the spring force will change the output voltage by approximately a
multiplier for the range of the meter.  Changing the screw adjustment of
the meter will offset the output by a fixed air volume amount (much affect
at idle, little at WOT)

You can also change the calibration of the meter by changing the value of
the fixed resistor.  Some meters (non-bosh) do not have the fixed resistor.

Using temperature, air flow x time for volume, and athmospheric pressure
(may or may not be measured), the air mass is calculated with an analog
computer (L-Jetronic), or digital computer (Motronic).

If the air meter is  used as an air flow device you cannot use the
resistance of the potentiometer, you must use the voltage to get any
accuracy.

Werner