-No Subject-

James V. Pearl/QSI James_V._Pearl/QSI%QSI at atl_dv1.qsi.com
Tue Jun 25 05:13:29 GMT 1996

"What I'd like to better understand is how torque and fuel relate along with
ignition."

Max fuel occurs at max airflow, which is usually not at peak torque. Peak
torque corresponds with peak volumetric efficiency unless you are severely
retarding spark due to detonation.

Max spark advance occurs under light loads(i.e.cruise) since burn duration is
longer and it's tougher to light the charge under those conditions. Spark
advance is a rough measure of combustion chamber efficiency, not necessarily
overall engine efficiency: the better(read, *faster burning*) chambers need
less spark advance. Under WOT conditions, max spark typically occurs around the

middle of the rpm range and increase slightly, if at all, up through redline.

Stock Mustang spark curves are conservative, so they're not a bad place to
start. That engine is knock limited to begin with, and it will get worse since
you've blown it, so you will be setting your spark advance by hearing knock.
Still, you will be faster than you were unblown! What fuel do you intend to use
?

Ed Hernandez
Ford Motor Company
ehernan3 at ed8719.pto.ford.com

Thanks Ed - I'm using premium pump gas and currently m running GT-40 heads
(ported) with stock pistons. The motor's been gone through and freshened but
compression was left alone. When I place my TFS (old style) onto a new
shortblock I'll be shooting for between * and 8.1 to 1 compression and lot's
more boost. Currently I'm limiting it to 8lbs of boost but have seen it a bit
higher. With two smallish turbos I'm seeing about 5lbs of boost at 2K - it's a
torquey puppy! Best times to date are 12.15 at 118mph with 3.08 gears (5
speed). 3.27's were installed after 3.73s turned out to be too much for the
track and road - I seldom take it over 6K..

Any hints as to what the stock Mustang curve looks like at WOT? (smile). I know

someone that's cracked it but his software doesn't display it real well for
someone simple like me....

P.S. The list will most likely reject this posting due to my SMTP gateway (had
to use another package for my previous posting) feel free to forward this if
you think it would be of value (sigh).