1/4 Wave Tuning

Donald Whisnant dewhisna at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 25 15:07:37 GMT 1996

> From: ehernan3 at ford.com (Edward Hernandez (R))
> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 10:53:14 +0500
> Subject: Re: 1/4 Wave Tuning
>
> The 1/4 wave 'modules' that someone described are indeed there for
> noise reduction. Well designed ones have no effect on power. Volume
> is THE primary variable in tuning a 1/4 resonator, not length. The
> conventional Helmholtz methods aren't perfect since they are one
> dimensional, but they ususally get you close. I would not worry about
> duplicating this resonator if you are tranplanting the engine unless
> the noise really get to you.
>
> Ed Hernandez
> Ford Motor Company
> ehernan3 at ed8719.pto.ford.com

Ed...

Hmmmm....  Noise isn't a problem -- this new engine purrrrs like
a kitten ... In fact at idle, you can hardly tell that it is
even running (if it wasn't for the tach!) ...  At higher RPM,
though, all I hear is the FlowMaster exhausts -- which sound
rather nice :)  ...  So I guess I'll totally forget about
the 1/4 wave "box" except for maybe cleaning up my duct work...

Donald Whisnant
dewhisna at ix.netcom.com