AC Delco ECM

Frank Parker fparker at umich.edu
Thu Jun 27 14:37:40 GMT 1996

> > turbo-equipped Corvair.<<<
> >
> > Knock sensing on an air-cooled engine, now there's a challenge!
>
> Why?  I've seen several Corvairs with HEI and ESC that work quite well.
>
> Martin Scarr

I agree the GM system works OK, but I  and others have seen a lot of false
retard in GM system. It is very sensitive to proper location of sensor and
use old analog filtering. The J&S system is MUCH better. It uses digital
signal processing and can be set to retard only the knocking cylinder or
to retard all the same. Can use either the high Z GM sensor or the low Z
Bosch sensor. Plus I built a LED display of the amt of retard from the
unit.

On the post of a few minutes ago about a FMU for your projected turbo.
They work very well if you do not ask them to add fuel over a large
boost range. I have used the Cartech one for 2 projects and works well.
They are about 6-7 to 1 on ratio, so fp up 6psi for every psi of boost.
I mapped mine on bench with math calculations for density  ratio from turbo
and trimmed it pretty close. I have one for sale if anyone interested.

	frank parker